Do you know this feeling when a scent hits your nose and immediately a memory or emotion bubbles up from your subconsciousness?
It is amazing how strong smells are connected with past experiences or feelings. The part of the brain where smells are processed has direct connection to two brain areas that are strongly implicated in emotion and memory. This might be a reason.
I discovered for myself that good smells…like flowers, forrest or food, make me immediately happy.
So, why not help a little bit and make sure with a homemade essential oil diffuser that it smells heavenly in your home?
And as a side product you can create a pretty piece of home decor that pleases also your eyes – not only your nose and brain.
For the essential oil diffuser you need:
- glass or ceramic container with an narrow opening appox. 2 – 3 cm / ¾ – 1 ¼″
- 5-7 bamboo skewers or rattan reeds (Apparently rattan reeds work a bit better, but I could only find bamboo skewers, so I used them)
- bottle of carrier oil (I used baby oil without scent)
- surgical spirit/rubbing alcohol (90%)
- essential oil(s)
Suggestions for CHRISTMAS themed essential oils:
You could use sweet orange, mandarin or/and tangerine. Be careful with cinnamon, clove bud and ginger, they shouldn’t be heavily diffused as the can irritate the mucous membranes. But maybe add a few drops and blend with sweet orange? Or what about a blend with cedar wood to get this warm, relaxing, woody christmas tree scent?
To make it pretty you need:
For dip dyed fringes on brass ring:
- brass ring that fits around bottle neck (the one I used is ∅ 5cm / 2″)
- white yarn (I used No 8 crochet cotton)
- fabric dye
For painted bamboo skewers:
- craft paint (I used dala metal gold)
In my post how to make jewellery with dip dyed fringes you also find instructions how to dip dye and attach the fringes to the ring. But I also included it in this post again.
HOW TO MAKE the dip dyed fringes and painted skewers:
1. Cut 20 pieces of yarn to the same length. Decide on the length regarding your bottle – how long do you want the fringes to be? Then take this length times two for each piece of yarn. I cut 20 pieces each 20 cm / 8” long for a 9,5 cm long fringe.
2. Prepare the dye bath in the bowl (follow the instructions of your specific dye). Fold the pieces of yarn in half and hang them over the skewer into the bowl. Make sure approx. 5 cm / 2 ″ are covered with the dye solution. Leave it in as long as instructions state, then remove yarn and let dry.
3. Knot the dip dyed yarn to the brass ring:
4. Trim all the fringes to the same length.
5. If you use bamboo skewers, cut the pointy ends. Paint the top of skewers as well as three or two stripes around:
HOW TO MAKE the essential oil diffuser:
1. Pour the carrier oil into your bottle, add 1-2 tablespoons alcohol. The alcohol thins the carrier oil and helps it travel up the skewers better.
2. Use a skewer or reed to stir the two liquids as they don’t mix by themselves. The mixture might get cloudy, but it will clear after a while.
3. Add the essential oil or a blend of essential oils. I used the whole 10 ml bottle of essential oil with 100 ml carrier oil.
4. Add 5 till 7 bamboo skewers or rattan reeds to the jar. Done.
After a few hours flip the skewers over to submerge the other ends in oil. Then it is only necessary to flip the skewers over as soon as the scent diminishes. When the skewers no longer smell at all, even when you’ve flipped them, they are completely saturated in oil and you need to replace them.